Thursday, January 24, 2008

30 Days Of Night (Movie)



Ghost House Pictures/ Columbia Pictures
Director: David Slade
Starring: Josh Hartnett, Melissa George, Danny Huston, Ben Foster


Yes, it has been over a week since last we spoke. Sadly, my husband and I have been wading through some tax papers, and I did not think that anyone would enjoy my embittered review of all things tax-related. (Although, for the record: long, complex, and no plot to speak of at all. Thumbs down, I say.) Apologies. And now, let's recommence reviewing.

WARNING: This movie is quite gory. It is a vampire movie, and vampires like blood. They like to poke people with their pointy teeth, drink the blood that comes out, and then walk around all blood-smeared and hollow-eyed and twinkle their fangs at the survivors. If you are not a fan of scary movies, or you cannot withstand a certain amount of carnage, move along.
If you do like scary movies, you should really see this. It is set in Barrow, Alaska, where a group of vampires take advantage of the winter period of extended darkness and rage unchecked through the isolated town. A handful of survivors, led by Sheriff Eben Oleson (Josh Hartnett) and his estranged wife (Melissa George) attempt to fight back and/or escape, and hilarity ensues.
This is a fairly standard Horror Story in many respects. You've got your dark and creepy corners. You've got an estranged but still in love couple, forced together by crisis. There's the scrappy younger brother itching to prove himself, the nutty survivalist whose nuttiness becomes invaluable, the friends and neighbors being transformed into monsters, and the resulting paranoia and panic. In spite of all this, however, it manages to set itself apart in several fascinating ways. My husband and I often make a game out of trying to predict how movies will end, and we were both wrong about this one, which I love. Nothing better than an unpredictable but still satisfying ending. Plus, the character development and the plot throughout the film neatly avoid many a horror movie pitfall.
Firstly, and most importantly, the vampires are smart, and legitimately scary. Their plan to isolate the town by sabotaging means of escape and communication makes sense, it is well thought out, and it is executed flawlessly. The townspeople's' reactions are also believable and logical. So many horror movies fall into the trap of having either the protagonist or the villain be too strong, which makes the story boring, or too stupid, which makes the story frustrating, or both, which makes the story boring and frustrating. This story has villains who are organized, strong, and intelligent, but not infallible. It is a delicate balance, and I have rarely seen it done better.
Secondly, the movie is visually awesome. The stark white snow, the red blood, and the dark figures lurking around everywhere create a minimalist scene where everything stands out. There is a particularly good image where the camera pans back and you see the whole town from above, with the vampires gliding around on the frozen and otherwise empty streets.
Which brings me to a final point: The vampires most closely resemble wolves preying on helpless smaller creatures. Their feeding is brutal, it is bestial, and it is not at all sexual. This makes me happy. The whole sexy vampire with the haunted eyes and mischievous smile who is all broody and lurky and compelling has been done. (Which reminds me! Stay tuned for my next review, in which I bemoan just such a plot!) In real life, vampires would be scary. They would be trying to kill and eat you. They would have bloodstained clothing and terrible breath. I think that it is unlikely that they would be sexy. I liked Buffy The Vampire Slayer as much as the next person, but I am glad that this particular movie avoided falling into those well-trodden footsteps.
So, see the movie! It's based on a comic book series, which I haven't read, but I've heard it's good, so maybe check that out too. Although, reading plot synopses of the series, I hope they don't make a sequel movie and continue the story. I liked the way the movie ended.

No comments: